Commencement season always fills me with pride and awe, and not even the threat of rain could dampen the spirit on display this May at the many recognition ceremonies honoring Cal State Fullerton’s Class of 2015. It was a privilege to share these momentous occasions with our record-breaking graduate class, their friends and families, and our University faculty, staff, and administrators.
I was also thrilled to join President García and Vice President for Student Affairs Eanes at the College World Series in Omaha, where our Titans played with great heart and great grit. I’m proud of these fine student-athletes for representing Cal State Fullerton with honor.
As the summer progresses, our office continues to advance conversations and initiatives to benefit our current and future Cal State Fullerton students. We look forward to the great work we have ahead of us.
For more updates and announcements, along with past monthly reports, op-eds, remarks, and emails to the campus community, please visit my blog.
- Convened Strategic Council of Deans (COD) meetings on May 27 and June 24 and discussed the following agenda items: College Scheduler, Irvine Campus, Research and Sponsored Programs, bottleneck courses, WASC Interim Report update, AY 2015–16 strategic planning, the Academic Master Plan, student success, FY 2015–16 budget update, and UEE update. The chair of the Academic Senate continues to be a special guest at all COD meetings.
- Convened Operational Council of Deans (COD) meetings on May 6 and 20 and June 10 and discussed the following agenda items: the first-year experience, water conservation, Irvine Campus, International Programs, EPOCHS grant, CCAR, and budget outlook. The chair of the Academic Senate continues to be a special guest at all COD meetings.
- Met with Dr. Sean Walker, former chair of the Academic Senate, on May 1, 5, and 12, and with Dr. Emily Bonney, current chair of the Academic Senate, on May 22, and June 2 and 30.
- Attended Academic Senate Executive Committee meetings on May 12 and June 30, and gave updates on executive searches, Academic Master Plan, WASC Interim Report, CSU state budget, the Faculty Equity Program, and faculty hires for AY 2015–16.
- Attended Academic Senate meeting on May 7.
- Attended Planning, Resource and Budget Committee (PRBC) meetings on May 1 and 8 and discussed the PRBC’s budget recommendations memorandum to President García.
- Attended a Fullerton Arboretum Commission meeting on June 10.
Executive Searches and Appointments
- Kicked off the search for a permanent dean for the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics with the search committee’s first meeting on May 5.
- Announced to the campus on May 21 the appointment of Dr. Susan Glassett Farrelly to the position of director for Online Education and Training.
- Announced to the campus on May 26 the appointment of Dale Merrill as the new dean for the College of the Arts, effective July 1, 2015.
- Held open forums for the three finalists in the search for a director of the University Honors Program on May 5, 7, and 11, and announced to the campus on May 29 the appointment of Dr. Sandra Pérez to the position.
- Announced to the campus on June 29 that we have been appointed by the Chancellor’s Office as a CSU Center of Excellence for Supplemental Instruction, and that Dr. Phil Janowicz has been appointed as interim director for the center.
Meetings and Events
- Gave congratulatory remarks to our graduating class of 2015 at numerous commencement events, including: LGBTQ Pride Recognition Ceremony (May 7); Chicano/Latino and Native American Celebration (May 9); Honors and Scholars Awards (May 15); Department of English, Comparative Literature, and Linguistics Commencement (May 16); Division of Politics, Administration, and Justice Commencement (May 17); and the University-wide commencement ceremonies on May 16 and 17.
- Co-led a Student Success Teams Steering Committee meeting on May 7 with Dr. Berenecea Johnson Eanes, Vice President for Student Affairs, and discussed EAB-Student Success Collaborative efforts and SST subcommittee reports.
- Attended a President’s Advisory Board meeting on May 12.
- Attended a retirement gathering on May 14 for Dr. Jack Bedell, emeritus professor of sociology and six-time former chair of the Academic Senate.
- Gave remarks at the College of Engineering and Computer Science Senior Design Projects Presentation and Demonstration on May 15.
- Represented President García at the CSU Board of Trustees meeting from May 18–20.
- Participated in the Lumina Foundation’s “10 years to goal 2025” convening on May 26 and 27 in Indianapolis.
- Gave welcome remarks on the second day of the convening for the Carnegie Project on the Education Doctorate (CPED), hosted by Cal State Fullerton from June 8–10.
- Cheered on our Titans and met with alumni and friends of Cal State Fullerton at the College World Series in Omaha on June 14 and 15.
- Participated in The Education Trust Board of Directors meeting on June 16.
- Participated in a phone discussion on June 23 with representatives from the Accrediting Commission of the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC) regarding our interim report, which was received very positively.
- Met with Lee Gardner, senior reporter at the Chronicle of Higher Education, on June 24 for a story on the evolving role of provosts.
- Attended BURST FORTH—the Biology Undergraduate Research Scholars Training, Freshman Orientation Research Training Hour—on June 25.
- Joined President García and Cal State Fullerton supporters at the Segerstrom Center for the Arts for a showing of “Motown the Musical” on June 28.
- Consulted with representatives of the California Faculty Association throughout the month regarding Cal State Fullerton’s Faculty Salary Equity Program, which was finalized and announced to faculty by President García on June 30.
- Announced to the campus on June 11 that Cal State Fullerton’s 2015–2016 fully online catalog is now complete and live, and accessible from the Quicklinks menu on the University home page.
- Gave a presentation titled “Achieving the College Dream: Today’s Imperative” to the Cal State Fullerton Alumni Association Board of Directors on May 28.
- Reminisced about my experience in Model United Nations and celebrated the myriad aspects of our University’s global outlook in “Cal State Fullerton is a hub for global connection, student engagement” (Orange County Register, May 4, 2015).
- Highlighted the community engagement of our faculty and students in “ ‘Hats off’ to the next generation of Latino students” (Orange County Register, June 2, 2015).